[Kenwood] Recommendations for 2nd HF rig

Leigh S. Jones [email protected]
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:38:36 -0700

I'm something of a fan of the TS-940S/AT, TS-950SDX, and FT1000DX.
However, I have to admit that many TS-940S/AT's suffer from one
unusual
but characteristic problem as they ages.  This is the PLL unlock
problem
that occurs as a result of the breakdown of the coating materials used
on
the circuit boards with time.

AT stands for antenna tuner.  No AT, no tuner -- you're loading the
transistor outputs into whatever load you've got and this often
results in
reduced output power.  This might be perfectly acceptable if you
always
run a final amplifier with low input VSWR or if you limit your
frequency
of operation to the low VSWR portions of the bands.  Or if you accept
the additional cost of adding an external tuner.

TS930 and TS850 users generally have good things to say about their
rigs, although none of them would try to tell you that their rig is
the
best on the market.  The 930's and even the 940's are becoming
antiques by now, making the problem of getting replacement parts
ever more difficult.

I don't suggest "tube" radios to people anymore.

But since this is a "second" radio you are talking about, I'm going to
suggest that you chose between going "small" or duplicating your
present rig.  When you go "small" you get an ideal "vacation" or
"portable" rig as well as backup protection.  The TS450S/AT
fits that requirement nicely.

The only other question is whether you wouldn't rather consider
mobile possibilities...