[Kenwood] Curious

Bob Wilder [email protected]
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:16:42 -0500

This is not a flame, but just some answers to a person who is bitter at the no-code Tech.

At 03:34 PM 7/29/2003 -0400, William J. Diamond wrote:

>Hay guys,
>
>You can flame and argue the no code thing all day but myself and a ton of
>other old timers like me will agree as follows.

Guess I am a old timer as I was first licensed in 1948

>A no code license holder is not a real ham.
>They are appliance operators.
>They could not put a coax connector on to save their life.

Many that I know run electronics repair facilities and got the tech just so they
could legally operate some of the equipment they repair.  One here in Mobile even has
built several receivers and transmitters designed to look and operate as they did
in the 1930's.

>Could they copy a distress signal in CW? Not only no but H---NO.

Maybe so...but a lot of old timers can not copy either.

>The supporters are the same bunch that could not pass a ham test 30 years
>ago so they worked to get the law changed.
>They are the easy out people.
>They are for the most part educated but have no common sense.
>They have no loyalties.
>They helped keep failing companies in business, Kenwood and Yaesu.
>The ham bands are too crowded now, we do not need more of them.

They are the ones that are saving of VHF and UHF bands by showing usage.

>Do we like them?  No
>Do we respect them No.
>Will we qso with them NO
>
>Were do the majority of us operate?  The Extra class portions of the bands
>or high speed CW which they probably think is RTTY or where their computer
>programs will not copy.

I work most of my Extra class stations in the Advanced/General portion of the bands.
The only think I hear in the "Extra" bands is griping.

>Some say they are first to help in an emergency, Bull, with what? a 99.00
>HT. They can't operate a decent HF band for long distance communication so
>what good are they? Not much.

A lot of the old REACT CB group opted for Tech because they wanted to be more help
in emergencies.  Down here on the Gulf Coast they are invaluable during hurricanes
when it comes to communications.

>Yes, they carry their 99.00 HT's around  sporting events and the like saying
>they are emergency communications trying to impress people.  Yea right.  I
>will take a cell phone any day over an HT.

I see a lot of 1x2 and 2x1 hams doing the same thing at ham fests.

>As you are probably wondering. No I do not operate any band above 20M. I do
>not operate 10, 6, 2, 440 and the rest of that stuff. If I want to talk
>across town, I will use my phone.
>
>Look around any ham fest and see the no code techs walking around with 3
>HT's, big battery packs on their belts and lots of speaker mikes what a
>joke.

Again...I see a lot of 1x2 and 2x1 hams doing the same thing at ham fests.

>Now what do they look like, usually long hair, no shave, baggy pants, no
>shirt or a tee shirt with some half vulgar thing on it.

I have a beard and long hair..."nuff said

>My wife refuses to go to a fest except for Dayton for this very reason.
>
>I am proud to say that I took every single license exam before the FCC and
>no VEC's I have a problem with them also but that is for another day.

My class "B" was in front of a FCC inspector,  My Advanced was given by the\
base communications Office while overseas and my Extra was thru a VEC after
I turned 70 years old...So What?

>So if the list cop wants to boot me from the list, no problem, I just sold
>the last piece of Kenwood crap last week and now I am 100 % Icom, the real
>ham's radio..
>

> William J. Diamond
> Rogers, Arkansas USA
>[email protected]