[Kenwood] TS-830S Rcvr Problem

J. Michael Thurman, WN5T [email protected]
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:34:45 -0600

Greetings.

I have a TS-830S that I got from a friend at a hamfest on Saturday.   When I
got it home I ran through every operation thoroughly.    I have been using a
TS-820, so I am fairly familiar with this type of rig.  It seemed to work
just fine.

The problem:  Yesterday I noticed that 15m reception has been greatly
attenuated.  That is, there was no meter deflection on any signal and the
audio was very low.  I ran out to the van to find a hot signal using the HF
mobile.  It was barely audible on the 830.  I tried two different antennas.
I confirmed that the RF gain was at maximum (fully clockwise) and that the
AF gain was where it normally is (about 2).  The FIX switch was off.  The
VBT was fully opened.  The radio received normally on all other bands.   The
noise blanker is off.  I have not transmitted on 15m with any other radio
since I brought this one home.

I love this rig. I just want it to be well!!!  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

73
Michael
WN5T