[Kenwood] Knwd filter question

Rick May rjmay at centurytel.net
Mon Jun 20 09:38:07 EDT 2005

Hello,

    The YG-88X filters are larger than YK-88X filters because they are
discrete 8 pole crystal filters while the YK-88X are monolithic (Some
say equivalent to a 6 pole others say only a 4 pole discrete crystal).
You will notice that the word 'Crystal' does not appear on the YK-88X
filters.  The YG prefix is used on the 455 'CRYSTAL'  filters.. I use a
YG-88S filter filter in one of my TS-830's and there is a noticable
improvement over the stock YK-88S. They are both 2.4 khz filters. The YG
is much too large to simply solder in so I had to use RG-174 and .01uF
decoupling caps.  Same center frequency.

Rick KC0HH
Lamar, Colorado