[Kenwood] D700 & D7AG Malaise Redux.

Gary V. Smith gvsmith at skyenet.net
Thu Jan 19 17:20:37 EST 2006

Well, as it happened I was totally wrong on both counts in my message
this morning (below).  I observed both radios for quite awhile and
noticed that the D7 was receiving and displaying data from the
D700.  It also received and displayed two other local stations.  So,
it appears that the root cause of my problem is location.  I had the
D7 inside on the rubber ducky and the D700 is on an antenna in the
attic.  Also, the nearest digi is "iffy" most of the time.  Some days
it works great and other days I wonder if someone shut it off.  It is
less than ten miles from me as the crow flies.  Neither of my radios
were being picked up by the digi.  So apparently if my nearest digi
is in deaf mode then my radios don't make a sound..hi..hi.  Or,
rather, they only talk to themselves.  I need to send them outside to
play.  It's all good..hi..hi.

73,
Gary - W6GVS
Dowagiac, MI

I want to thank Ken, John and Randy for their responses to my problem
with programming the D700 with MCP.  I was still confused after I
read their replies, but when I finally got it out of my mind that the
radio is a dual band set up and not a twin band, then everything fell
into place.  It is programmed and working nicely now...except for one
thing.  I set up the APRS "by the book" and it is receiving just
fine, but it isn't transmitting my beacon at all.  Obviously there is
something I'm missing.  Now, I haven't received the programming cable
for the D7 yet, but, in the meantime, I set it up for APRS "by the
book".  The rub is that it IS transmitting my beacon, but not
displaying received packets.  It is receiving them nicely judging by
the audio and S-meter, but not displaying them and when I LIST I get
a no data response.

So, again I need to prevail upon those of you who may have been
there, done that.  Thanks.

73,
Gary - W6GVS
Dowagiac, MI