[Kenwood] TS-940SAT fan help

wb4mle at ctvea.net wb4mle at ctvea.net
Tue Nov 7 13:34:47 EST 2006

>Lubing the sleeve bearing is certainly worth a try, but many of the 940
>fans are 20 years old, and depending upon the hours the unit has may
>have exceeded the life expectancy of the motor.  Also, I have seen fans
>that have previously been "lubricated" with ?? or worse, sprayed with
>WD-40, the all purpose bearing destroyer, and are so gummed up they can
>hardly be turned by hand!
>
>Many of the "failed" 940 fans will run from a stiff 12V supply, (we
>don't know for how long,) but draw too much current from what is an
>essentially current limited source.  Bottom line is, you DON'T want the
>fan to fail un-noticed in a 940.  Normally it's low noise is covered by
>ambient noise and you don't know it's failed until serious damage has
>been done.

This is the failure mode on the motor from my TS-940SAT. It would run
till it heated up and then begin to slow and drop the voltage to
around 3 volts.

I am seriously considering taking the output that went to the old
motor and using it to drive a flashing led and piezo buzzer as the old
fan controller never gets hot enough now to activate. This will give
me an overheat warning if the rig gets too hot.
--
Eddie, WB4MLE