[Kenwood] TS-950SD Transmit on Power Up - Solved

Bob Farkaly rfarkaly at san.rr.com
Sat Jul 16 19:02:10 EDT 2011

My TS-950SD suddenly started transmitting within about one second of power
up. After checking to make absolutely sure I wasn't causing this (PTT,
keyer, etc.), I made local inquiries as well as on inquiry on the
reflectors. There were great recommendations on the NIDXA, the local SDDXC
as well as on the Kenwood reflector. Many thanks for the great assistance.

But my biggest thanks goes to LOU DE BEER, ND6W, on Coronado Island for
diagnosing and fixing this problem. It seems the problem was indeed on the
control board as others had indicated. Lou ordered a replacement from
Kenwood, but the board and its components were no longer available. So he
examined the board very closely using a high power magnifier and light
source and found that the "feet" of two of the surface mount components were
pulling away from the board under certain circumstances. Sort of like an
intermittent connection. He used some heat and  was able to fix the
intermittent connections. Now my TS-950SD is fully back in service thanks to
Lou.

Oh and the price was right as well!

I can't say THANK YOU too loudly. Lou fixed my radio!

73,

Bob Farkaly. K9RHY
13163 Edina Way
Poway, CA 92064-1122